Principal Backend Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Friday, April 7, 2023
About Climate Ai
ClimateAi is on a mission to climate-proof the economy while aiming for zero loss of lives, livelihoods and nature. We use AI to predict the risk of climate change, water and biodiversity. We then generate actionable insights that help stakeholders build strategies for their operations, supply chain planning, and regulatory disclosures.
We are a fast-growing Series-B company with its roots in the dorms of Stanford University. The platform was in TIME's Best Inventions list for 2022. We're seeking an innovative, passionate, team-oriented Principal Backend Engineer to join our growing team.
About the role:
We are a young startup, looking for a passionate candidate who can contribute to our mission to deploy impactful solutions to the most important issue of our generation. Our focus will be on developing climate adaptation & resilience tools for various sectors, with agriculture as our initial market. We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer with extensive experience in backend service and workflow technologies. Experience architecting on cloud platforms preferred. This person will be developing services within the ClimateAi platform. This individual should be able to work remotely and supremely self-driven, with an eye for detail, and contributions to the team through regular feedback, working with both the tech/product teams. The ideal candidate will have a deep passion for building sophisticated software systems, a devotion to engineering craftsmanship, an unwavering commitment to quality. Also, the candidate will be working on shaping the vision of the company and brand Climate Tech. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working on open-ended projects, both individually as well as in a fast-paced environment. We hire people who are collaborative, adaptable, communicate well, and love to learn. Expect to give and receive constructive criticism, as we are constantly re-evaluating our hypotheses and our products.
- Play a central role in the technical design, planning, and implementation of our backend service, data, and cloud architecture.
- Collaborate with engineering, design, user experience, product and analytics teams to identify needs, evaluate requirements, write specifications, and design and implement sophisticated software systems.
- Ensure engineering efforts are high quality and moving in the right direction
- Act as a consultant for feature teams and any technical issue in engineering
- Function as the most senior technical resource for the various Scrum teams
- Take a hands-on approach in the development of prototypes, independently and with others, to establish design decisions and/or technical feasibility.
- Write well crafted, efficient and testable code in Python / Java / Golang.
- Scope out tasks and systems, looking for future improvementsStrive for excellence in software craftsmanship through continuous improvement and iterative change.
- Mentor fellow engineers from a technical perspective.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent)
- 8+ years proven experience as a software engineer
- Good programming experience in backend development technologies like Python, Java, Golang, Ruby etc
- Extensive experience designing, developing and owning production quality backend architectures and services, and pipelines.
- Strong experience working with data stores like SQL, no-SQL, and object storage.
- Experience building cloud native, containerized applications running in Kubernetes on AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Experience in communicating with other technical teams and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, making them more effective software engineers.
- Experience influencing software engineering best practices iteratively across an engineering organization.
- Proven track record collaborating with other partners to design and implement features and systems with excellent problem solving skills.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU:
Competitive salary, ClimateAi stock plan
Medical, dental, vision benefits
Learning budget per year
Discretionary Time Off policy for many employees
Flexible working hours on many teams
Culture of diversity and inclusion including employee resource groups
Work with cool people and be part of the mission to help the world
If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you.
Location: Remote US/LATAM
Compensation: Aligned with the best standards of start-ups.
Please include the job title in the subject line. Please include any relevant links to personal web pages, LinkedIn, GitHub, or similar platforms.
See more open positions at ClimateAI
Something looks off?