VP of Legal
GreenLight Workforce Solutions
Who We Are
GreenLight.ai is at the apex of some of the most socially impactful legal issues facing this country. The gig economy and independent workforce is on the rise - and GreenLight is building the infrastructure to help make it easy for companies to navigate these compliance minefields.
Our technology is designed to power the Future of Work and we provide workforce management infrastructure to some of the world’s leading brands and the most disruptive online staffing platforms.
Compliance and knowledge of HR and labor laws are at the center of our mission to be the leading contingent workforce management company. We are looking for a leader who will play a critical, strategic and public role in helping us drive this mission.
Why join GreenLight.ai
The independent workforce is exploding: 52 million workers and $4.1 trillion in spend. We are industry veterans with deep domain expertise, backed by great investors and advisors, deeply committed to building the best user experience in the gig economy. We are creating a world-class culture with global ambitions.
Come to Miami, Palo Alto or work wherever you want. Quarterly team retreats. Home office stipend. Great benefits.
As VP, Legal, you will play a critical role in our leadership team, contributing directly to meeting GreenLight’s milestones.
Our clients are enterprise organizations who rely on us for regulatory compliance related to their extended workforce. We are looking for a leader who will play a critical, strategic and public role in helping us drive this mission.
You’ll work directly as part of GreenLight’s leadership team; with overall responsibility for general legal issues, regulatory compliance, overseeing and executing different initiatives. We are looking for someone with expert knowledge of current employment labor laws (federal and state) and issues (i.e., ADA, Age, Wage and Hour-FLSA, OSHA – Workers Compensation, EEO, FMLA, Sexual Harassment). The ideal candidate is extremely curious about labor law issues, thrives in ambiguity, loves to solve problems, and has a bias for action.
You’ll be able to geek out about AB5 and workers comp claims, but you’ll have a passion for implementing workable solutions. With compliance at the heart of what we do, you will be expected to directly contribute to product development.
This is your opportunity to make a real impact in thousands of households around the world!
Overall responsibility for compliance department, protecting GreenLight and our clients:
- Establish and update all compliance and HR policies and audit processes
- Provide analysis and recommendations for management on HR and legal issues
- Research, document and disseminate regulatory and compliance matters
- Draft, manage and execute commercial agreements, including client, vendor and international partner agreements
- Oversee and monitor the implementation of GreenLight’s compliance program, including:
- Direct the company’s worker classification audit and assessment process, including independent contractor (IC) compliance assessment
- Establish and maintain training programs for relevant team members on how to perform IC assessments and exempt non-exempt evaluations
- Design and manage applicable compliance training programs for clients and contracted workers
- Act as the escalation point for employee relation matters, mediate with employees/clients, and liaise with outside legal counsel as applicable
- Draft and review client, contractor, employee, and vendor contract(s)
- Provide monthly internal updates regarding relevant compliance and legal issues
- Work closely with product and operations departments to enforce and verify regulatory changes
- Maintain current knowledge of laws and regulations; review and implement changes to internal compliance as necessary
- Contribute to company’s marketing efforts by reviewing marketing materials and participating in client presentations as well as attending company-sponsored events, webinars, seminars, and conferences
- Manage outside counsel and legal advisors
What we will assess
- Your WHY? We want to know why you are interested in this role. We don’t expect you to tell us an incredible story - we just want to know if you know what you want; if we can give you what you want; and if it makes sense for both parties
- Your credentials and expertise in relevant legal issues
- Willingness in becoming a thought leader in the global contingent workforce space
- Your ability to learn, think critically, and synthesize complex things
- Your desire to grow as a professional and be instrumental in driving GreenLight’s growth
- Your ability and desire to be a team player
- Your ability to manage yourself
- You should have at least five years of labor experience with a top law firm
- Experience working in-house at a staffing firm, EOR or talent marketplace (eg. Uber, Upwork)
- Law degree from a top-tier university
- Experience in a government agency role and/or corporate legal/HR role a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Reach out! 🙂