Mechanical Engineer III - Thermal Systems
Motiv Power Systems
What Makes Motiv Special?
Through a radically different approach to building electric trucks that combines our own patented IP with strategic partnerships, we have developed a line of all-electric medium-duty truck and bus chassis, the Motiv EPIC platform, which are used in a range of truck and bus applications. Our next-generation power management electronics and software make it easy to integrate new technology components into new vehicles and applications.
The ideal candidate will want to be a member of the 2+ ton commercial truck EV Industry leader, with millions of current customer driven miles and tens of millions of pounds delivered in the US and Canada while reducing millions of CO2 pounds of emissions. You will be joining us at a critical inflection point in our growth, when, in addition to launching our sixth generation technology, we are significantly expanding our products, capacity and market volume.
Motiv’s core values are deep passion, curiosity, collaboration, customer focus and “owning it.” If those are values you share, we would love to talk with you about joining our team and taking your career to the next level in one of the hottest technology sectors. To succeed in this job, you must be able to perform the duties listed below – and others as required.
Motiv is looking for a smart, enthusiastic Mechanical Engineer to join us in transforming an industry. In this position your primary responsibility will be to design and develop Motiv’s vehicle thermal systems. You will collaborate within a multidisciplinary team to improve our existing designs while developing our NextGen technology.
A successful candidate understands the challenges associated with developing cost-effective solutions that are developed with quality and a focus on ease of assembly. We are looking for a self-motivated, creative thinker that is looking to make a significant impact in the electric truck market, helping to define the direction of design and style for this industry. This position reports to the Mechanical Engineering Manager and is located in Novi, MI.
- Design routing and retention of hoses, battery cooling lines; design and develop fittings and joints that allow for ease of assembly, service, and robust functionality
- Develop designs for manufacturability and assembly while optimizing for cost (scaling to higher volumeDevelop BOM, 3D and 2D CAD, GD&T, materials specification
- Participate in developing next generation ideas and state of art technology in the heavy-duty electric vehicle industry
- Design and develop technical requirements for interfacing systems (give and get)
- Work with partners, vendors, customers, and Motiv’s manufacturing team to integrate Motiv products in new vehicle applications
- Lead resolution of design, manufacturing, supplier quality issues; provide on-site build support
- Interface cross-functionally to drive program delivery
- Lead failure mode analysis, FMEAs and DVP for all hardware and systems
- Participate in design reviews with the engineering team and cross functionally
- Develop your skills and help improve Motiv’s engineering expertise
- Strong advocacy for rigorous engineering discipline throughout the organization
- Mentor junior engineers
- Successful development of hardware that includes but is not limited to:
- Battery cooling systems components
- HVAC systems and associated components
- Control strategy of battery cooling and HVAC
- Develop elegant solutions to complex engineering problems for cooling systems
- Design routing and retention of hoses, battery cooling lines; design and develop fittings and joints
- Proficient with SolidWorks (CATIA a Plus) and experience with PDM software
- Understanding of ANSI Y14.5 drawing standards and their application through GD&T
- Deep knowledge of heat transfer, thermodynamics, and control systems
- Model development and simulation tools
- Creation/implementation of Bill of Material and Change Management Systems
- Strong knowledge of automotive product development systems and design disciplines
- Expert level understanding of FMA, FMEA, DVP, Process Control Plan, DFM, DFA, root cause analysis techniques
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to excel in a team environment
- High level of accuracy; ability to work with tight schedules
Education and Experience:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) and 8+ years of relevant experience preferably in the automotive industry
- Strong experience with fittings, hoses, and hardline development (routing & retainment)
- Proven record of taking designs from conception to production
- Experience designing for rugged or automotive environments
- Strong experience with FEA and thermal analysis
- Experience working with or leading contractors, vendors, and remote team members
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- Must be able to perform manual work as needed
- $110,000.00-$130,000.00 (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and training.
This is a regular full-time remote position that can be based in Novi, Michigan.
Candidates only please; no recruiters.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.
Something looks off?