Compliance and Validation Engineering Manager
Motiv Power Systems
What Makes Motiv Special?
Through a radically different approach to building electric trucks that combines our own patented IP with strategic partnerships, we have developed a line of all-electric medium-duty truck and bus chassis, the Motiv EPIC platform, which are used in a range of truck and bus applications. Our next-generation power management electronics and software make it easy to integrate new technology components into new vehicles and applications.
The ideal candidate will want to be a member of the 2+ ton commercial truck EV Industry leader, with millions of current customer driven miles and tens of millions of pounds delivered in the US and Canada while reducing millions of CO2 pounds of emissions. You will be joining us at a critical inflection point in our growth, when, in addition to launching our sixth generation technology, we are significantly expanding our products, capacity and market volume.
Motiv’s core values are deep passion, curiosity, collaboration, customer focus and “owning it.” If those are values you share, we would love to talk with you about joining our team and taking your career to the next level in one of the hottest technology sectors. To succeed in this job, you must be able to perform the duties listed below – and others as required.
Motiv is looking for a Compliance and Validation Engineering Manager to join the engineering team as a key contributor. As part of a small team, you will be the primary leader to ensure government and industry compliance and safety standards. Responsibilities include research and inform stakeholders of compliance issues or regulation updates, organizing support documentation, and lead development and implementation of internal compliance policies and procedures. Candidates should leverage your prior experience to ensure we achieve and maintain compliance, as well as contributing to Motiv’s long-term vision. This position may require occasional travel of between 10-20% as needed. This position reports to the Director of Vehicle Systems Engineering and is based in Foster City, CA.
- Be the primary leader to ensure compliance for Motiv products. This includes Government and Industry, Safety and Environmental standards such as California Air Resource Board (CARB) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certificates, FMVSS and CMVSS
- Ensure timely and complete translation of relevant standards to system and subsystem requirements
- Monitor and verify successful technical implementation through development, testing and validation
- Identify and work with appropriate internal and external experts and service providers to ensure timely, accurate and successful compliance
- Leverage your prior experience or automotive engineering background to ensure the way in which we achieve compliance is of high value to us as a successful scale-up
- Provide regulatory requirements input to engineering and development teams, through design review
- The responsibilities would include sub tasks such as:
o Identify and coordinate tests with external labs, vendors, & internal resources to ensure full certifications & compliance
o Organize & support documentation related to filing of regulatory certifications
o Work with teams to ensure our products & processes meet evolving & applicable regulations
o Track & understand the regulatory environment
o Monitor, evaluate, and advise on the development and implementation of relevant govt and industry standards as appropriate
o Facilitate, at the right management level, discussions of changes that might affect ongoing & new business
o Clearly communicate regulatory requirement changes with Motiv and partner vehicle builders
o Suggest solutions for compliance issues
o Interface with Sales and Customer Facing Teams and provide feedback and inputs to Engineering Teams
- Lead development and implementation of appropriate internal policies, procedures, plans, and guidelines to develop Motiv effectiveness to ensure compliance continues as a robust and repeatable process for subsequent new product development
- Ability to translate own expertise in a practical and easily implementable way with maximum impact using appropriate resources
- Ability to work in a fast-paced start-up/scale-up development and manufacturing cross-functional environment
- A team player with strong communication skills. Must possess a sense of urgency. A self-starter who can independently prioritize and manage multiple competing tasks
- Excellent cross-functional communication and collaboration – simplifying and providing practical, clearly applicable solutions - across technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Able to write for a variety of audiences ranging from detailed technical reports to executive summaries with a high level of precision, accuracy, and detail
- Working knowledge of regulations as associated with compliance and related procedures
- Demonstrates cross-functional teamwork skills and potential for future leadership roles
Education and Experience:
- BS in Engineering or equivalent experience, additional degree(s) a plus
- Minimum of 5 years industry experience, desired 10 years, in an automotive or related regulated field
- Previous experience working with regulatory & certification entities
- Experience coordinating compliance requirements and testing with independent labs & certification agencies
- Understanding of mechanical testing, electronics, and verifying safety & compliance
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- $180,000.00-$195,000.00 (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and training.)
This is a regular full-time position based in Foster City, CA.
Candidates only please; no recruiters.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.