Sales Application Engineer
Motiv Power Systems
What Makes Motiv Special?
Through a radically different approach to building electric trucks that combines our own patented IP with strategic partnerships, we have developed a line of all-electric medium-duty truck and bus chassis, the Motiv EPIC platform, which are used in a range of truck and bus applications. Our next-generation power management electronics and software make it easy to integrate new technology components into new vehicles and applications.
The ideal candidate will want to be a member of the 2+ ton commercial truck EV Industry leader, with millions of current customer driven miles and tens of millions of pounds delivered in the US and Canada while reducing millions of CO2 pounds of emissions. You will be joining us at a critical inflection point in our growth, when, in addition to launching our sixth generation technology, we are significantly expanding our products, capacity and market volume.
Motiv’s core values are deep passion, curiosity, collaboration, customer focus and “owning it.” If those are values you share, we would love to talk with you about joining our team and taking your career to the next level in one of the hottest technology sectors. To succeed in this job, you must be able to perform the duties listed below – and others as required.
Motiv is looking for a smart and enthusiastic Sales Application Engineer. The successful candidate will support our Sales and Marketing teams in determining the best technical fit between Motiv’s product offerings and our potential customer’s requirements. You will work closely with our customers and Motiv’s Product Management and Sales team to ensure we deliver on our customer’s specifications and expectations.
Your goal is to help develop clients who are delighted with Motiv’s products and services, will continue to reorder on a regular basis, and who will also act as a positive reference for our new electric vehicle fleet prospects. As a small company, we are dependent on our team members’ leadership, enthusiasm, creative problem solving, and self-motivation across a wide range of both technical and nontechnical disciplines. These attributes, plus a fun and eager personality, are as important as the knowledge and skill set required for the work performed.
- Supporting Motiv Sales Team by working with potential customers to present technical aspects of Motiv's powertrain and technology, and address any technical or engineering questions that may arise during the sales process
- Leading the prospect’s data collection and evaluation procedures to ensure proper duty cycle and application mission match for each sales prospect
- Based on a thorough needs analysis, correctly configuring the appropriate Motiv Powertrain solution for prospect’s vehicles. This configuration will form the basis for Sales quotes Identifying any new or unique requirements for the application of Motiv’s products on prospect’s vehicles and coordinating with Product Management and Sales to ensure that these are addressed during the sales cycle
- Identifying potential areas where Motiv’s product solutions may not address all of prospect’s requirements
- Coordinating with Product Management and Sales to develop and present solutions to prospects, while aligning expectations on limitations and benefits of solutions
- Building a network of preferred partners/vendors for satisfying various vehicle application needs, such as charge stations and infrastructure planning
- Setting fleets’ expectations for the planning, training and infrastructure/facilities needed for the addition of new electric trucks and ensuring the ability of customers to scale EV operations for future/repeat orders
- Working with new customers, electric utilities, charging station providers and any/all other preferred vendors to coordinate a successful launch of Motiv powered vehicles into new customers regular fleet operations
- Interfacing with customers during vehicle build cycle and coordinating the handoff of new customers to Customer Support
- Providing Marketing and Sales support by attending webinars, trade shows and industry events
- Outstanding communication skills, articulate both written and verbal
- Comfortable with interfacing with customers at all levels of an organization
- Detail oriented, solutions focused, with excellent follow up and documentation
- Solid understanding of technology including software, controls, electrical and mechanical engineering
- Ability to perform well under pressure, be able to manage competing demands, be proactive, show resourcefulness, and adapt well to changing circumstances
- Be able to manage many projects, often at the same time, through their entire life cycle in collaboration with several internal and external team members
- Work with integrity and be reliable; look for ways to improve and monitor your own work to ensure quality; meet deadlines; and ensure that work responsibilities are covered when absent
- Highly motivated, well organized, and a positive, team-oriented attitude
- Ability to work independently
- Passion for delivering sound engineering solutions to unique problems
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Engineering or a related field
- Experience in providing outstanding customer support and meticulous attention to detail that will help deliver the desired results and ultimately, sales and successful fleet deployments
- Previous fleet experience is a plus
- Prior Sales/Application Engineer experience preferred
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- $105,000.00 - $120,000.00 (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and training.
This is a regular full-time remote position that can be based in Foster City, CA.
Candidates only please; no recruiters.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.