Mechanical Engineering Technician
Motiv Power Systems
What Makes Motiv Special?
Through a radically different approach to building electric trucks that combines our own patented IP with strategic partnerships, we have developed a line of all-electric medium-duty truck and bus chassis, the Motiv EPIC platform, which are used in a range of truck and bus applications. Our next-generation power management electronics and software make it easy to integrate new technology components into new vehicles and applications.
The ideal candidate will want to be a member of the 2+ ton commercial truck EV Industry leader, with millions of current customer driven miles and tens of millions of pounds delivered in the US and Canada while reducing millions of CO2 pounds of emissions. You will be joining us at a critical inflection point in our growth, when, in addition to launching our sixth generation technology, we are significantly expanding our products, capacity and market volume.
Motiv’s core values are deep passion, curiosity, collaboration, customer focus and “owning it.” If those are values you share, we would love to talk with you about joining our team and taking your career to the next level in one of the hottest technology sectors. To succeed in this job, you must be able to perform the duties listed below – and others as required.
Founded in 2009, and headquartered in Foster City, California, Motiv is committed to freeing fleets from a dependence on fossil fuels. We provide next-generation power management electronics and software for heavy duty electric-drive vehicles. As a Ford eQVM approved supplier, Motiv’s family of Electric Powered Intelligent Chassis (EPIC) are available for several different medium-duty vehicle configurations including walk-in vans, box trucks, work trucks, shuttle buses, school buses, trolleys, and other specialty vehicles.
We are looking for a Vehicle Support Technician to work in our Stockton, California support site. In this support position you would be reporting to the Senior Customer Field Support Leader. See Essential Duties and Responsibilities for a description of tasks, duties, and responsibilities. We are looking for candidates that are ready and excited to take on the many responsibilities associated with supporting a hi-tech product line. Your success at Motiv will be determined as much by your passion and self-motivation as by your skills and knowledge.
Compensation in the form of a salary package will be based on your skills and experience.
- Support Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) activities including Quality Control (QC) and verification testing to include, testing vehicle’s functional condition, inspections, repairing vehicle failures and repairing mechanical and electrical system malfunctions
- Perform engineering change requests (ECR)
- Install and replace electrical and mechanical components used in Motiv’s all electric vehicle platforms and product lines
- Follow detailed instructions to accomplish tasks
- Use various proprietary software and interface tools to trouble shoot, flash, and test onboard systems
- Work with Sr. Customer Field Support Leader and lead to ensure quality standards are met and vehicles are ready for delivery to end users
- Support special projects to include fabricating, modifying and or building weldments, brackets, and component support structures
- Build wire harnesses for both low voltage and high voltage cabling
- Perform on-road vehicle testing and verification checks
- Support RMA activities to include inventory control, shipping/receiving and tracking
- General shop duties including clean up, operations support, and various task as requested by manager and or vehicle support lead
- Maintain a clean and safe shop environment
- Pre-delivery inspection (PDI) and or vehicle verification and validation testing
- Have valid driver’s license
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Use digital volt meters to test various electrical components including high voltage (HV) components and systems
- Ability to communicate findings and issues effectively with managers and teammates
- Use various hand and power tools to install, assemble and upgrade vehicles
- Adherence to safety policies and procedures
- Ability to read and understand schematics and engineering drawings
- Skilled in the operation of shop and fabrication machinery such as welders, mills, lathe’s, vehicle lifts, jacks, hoists, forklifts etc.
- The ability to work overhead and bent over for long periods of time
- Positive attitude, team oriented, maturity, dedication, initiative, and punctuality
- Available to work overtime as needed
Education and Experience:
- 4+ years of experience in the light, medium or heavy-duty truck mechanic field or applicable electrical or mechanical fields
- Welding experience and fabrication skills
- Mechanical assembly and component installation experience
- Technical degree in mechanical and or electrical
- Automotive training and vehicle repair experience
- Experience with battery electric vehicles (BEV) high voltage systems and EV technology
- Experience with vehicle manufacturing, assembly, and prototyping
- Ability to work overhead and bent over for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 50-80 lbs.
- Travel for special projects and field upfit implementation in and out of CA and across the US as needed
- Combination of Plant and Office Environment
- Occasional exposure to elements such as odor, noise, dust, heat, cold or chemicals within OSHA and California work environment statutes
- Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned
- $25.00 - $35.00 per hour (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and training.)
This is a regular full-time position based in Stockton, CA.
Candidates only please; no recruiters.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.