Embedded Software Engineer III
Motiv Power Systems
What Makes Motiv Special?
Through a radically different approach to building electric trucks that combines our own patented IP with strategic partnerships, we have developed a line of all-electric medium-duty truck and bus chassis, the Motiv EPIC platform, which are used in a range of truck and bus applications. Our next-generation power management electronics and software make it easy to integrate new technology components into new vehicles and applications.
The ideal candidate will want to be a member of the 2+ ton commercial truck EV Industry leader, with millions of current customer driven miles and tens of millions of pounds delivered in the US and Canada while reducing millions of CO2 pounds of emissions. You will be joining us at a critical inflection point in our growth, when, in addition to launching our sixth generation technology, we are significantly expanding our products, capacity and market volume.
Motiv’s core values are deep passion, curiosity, collaboration, customer focus and “owning it.” If those are values you share, we would love to talk with you about joining our team and taking your career to the next level in one of the hottest technology sectors. To succeed in this job, you must be able to perform the duties listed below – and others as required.
Motiv is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer III to join the engineering team as a key contributor. As part of a small team, you will develop firmware for various components that comprise Motiv’s EV solution. Responsibilities include technical leadership, and mentorship as well as direct contribution to software design, coding, testing, and debugging. Candidates should enjoy getting their hands dirty and debugging on hardware, using digital probes, oscilloscopes, and other embedded development tools. You will contribute to Motiv’s long-term software engineering vision.
May require occasional domestic travel, typically less than 5%.
This position reports to the SW Engineering Manager and is based in Foster City, CA.
- Work with management, architects, and developers to create cost-effective, flexible, software/firmware test solutions which scale with our business
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain embedded vehicle control software in C and C++
- Independently perform board bring-up and code debug, including utilization of associated tools such as oscilloscopes, logic, and protocol analyzers, JTAG and trace pods
- Fulfill all specified and derived requirements, including: safety timing and signal processing and signal processing requirements of control algorithms for chassis systems, power converters, and motor controllers
- Participate in Systems Analysis, conduct requirements analysis, develop software requirements, tests and design documents
- Conduct requirements and design reviews
- Develop and document test plans and code review
- Participate in and encourage continuous improvement of software quality. Adhere to best Practices for Software Quality Assurance
- Participate in peer design and code reviews
- Adhere to Motiv company policies and procedures and Software and Engineering best-practices
- Participate in and encourage continuous improvement of software quality
- Adhere to Motiv company policies and procedures, and best-practices
- BS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software emphasis
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles, including SW Quality Assurance and full SDLC
- 5 years of industry experience developing real-time software for embedded systems
- Strong proficiency in C - ability to understand compiler output (assembly).
- Experience with coding standards like MISRA C
- Experience in the automotive industry, and standards such as CAN, LIN, FlexRay, AUTOSAR, etc.
- Strong analytical and communications skills
- Familiarity with and understanding of control theory
- Experience with both RTOS and bare-metal systems.
- 2 years’ hands-on experience at the software-hardware interface
- Familiarity with Python and bash
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline required. Master’s Degree is preferred.
- 7 years of relevant experience. Minimum 3 yrs Development AND Minimum 4 yrs Testing; exceptional candidates with less experience will be considered
- MS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software Emphasis
- Experience developing safety-critical systems and familiarity with ISO-26262
- Experience with Agile Development Methodology
- Experience with automated testing
- Experience as a technical lead on a small team
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- May require occasional domestic travel up to 5%
- $145,000.00 - $158,000.00 (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and training.)
This is a regular full-time position based in Foster City, CA.
Candidates only please; no recruiters.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.