Embedded Software Engineer II - Field Support
Motiv Power Systems
What Makes Motiv Special?
Through a radically different approach to building electric trucks that combines our own patented IP with strategic partnerships, we have developed a line of all-electric medium-duty truck and bus chassis, the Motiv EPIC platform, which are used in a range of truck and bus applications. Our next-generation power management electronics and software make it easy to integrate new technology components into new vehicles and applications.
The ideal candidate will want to be a member of the 2+ ton commercial truck EV Industry leader, with millions of current customer driven miles and tens of millions of pounds delivered in the US and Canada while reducing millions of CO2 pounds of emissions. You will be joining us at a critical inflection point in our growth, when, in addition to launching our sixth generation technology, we are significantly expanding our products, capacity and market volume.
Motiv’s core values are deep passion, curiosity, collaboration, customer focus and “owning it.” If those are values you share, we would love to talk with you about joining our team and taking your career to the next level in one of the hottest technology sectors. To succeed in this job, you must be able to perform the duties listed below – and others as required.
Motiv is looking for a Software Engineer II – Field Support, to join the engineering team as a key contributor. As part of a small team, you will support customer trouble report resolution, and develop software for various components that comprise Motiv’s EV solution. Responsibilities will be focused on troubleshooting software-centric electromechanical vehicle systems. Occasionally you will perform software requirements analysis, software design, coding, testing, and debugging. You will collaborate with the Customer Support Team, Engineering, and Manufacturing. Candidates should enjoy direct customer exposure, getting their hands dirty and debugging on hardware with digital probes, oscilloscopes, and other test equipment. This role will require you to contribute to Motiv’s long-term quality vision through continuous improvement to our software and quality assurance processes.
Requires North American travel, less than 50%.
This position reports to the Lead Field Service Engineer and is based in Foster City, CA.
- Working in a small team and reporting to a team lead, respond to customer needs, and perform remote and on-site troubleshooting of field and manufacturing issues
- In close collaboration with the Embedded Software Development team, contribute to design, develop, implement, and maintain embedded vehicle control and diagnostic software in C and Python
- Support verification and validation testing of software solutions
- Provide feedback to the cross-functional Engineering team on product improvement
- Fulfill all specified and derived software requirements, including: safety, timing, and signal processing requirements of assigned coding assignments
- Participate in peer design and code reviews
- Collaborate with your team lead, SQA staff and others to document your designs, tests, and test results
- Develop, document and train staff on field support and manufacturing tools and solutions
- Adhere to Motiv company policies, procedures, and best-practices
- BS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software Emphasis
- Minimum 2 years industry experience developing real-time software for embedded systems required
- Experience in a Field Support role in any discipline
- Proficiency in C and familiarity with Python
- Basic understanding of software engineering principles, including SW Quality Assurance and full SDLC
- Basic understanding of electronics/electrical systems, sensors, actuators and motors
- Strong analytical and communications skills
- Strong drive, results-oriented, and ability to collaborate with diverse teams to achieve goals
- Automotive or other safety critical Support Experience.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- Requires North American travel, less than 50%
- $122,000.00 - $132,000.00 (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant training.)
This is a full-time permanent position based in Foster City, CA.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.