Rhythmos develops advanced technology that optimizes the electric mobility ecosystem, enabling the transition to a decarbonized power grid based on distributed energy resources as primary service providers. Our Rhythmos Algorithmic Optimization System (AOS) platform uses advanced machine learning and data analytics to optimize grid performance, considering EV fleet owner operational requirements, existing utility tariffs and rates, electric utility infrastructure capacity and grid constraints, wholesale energy market pricing, and more. By approaching optimization from this end-to-end ecosystem perspective, the Rhythmos AOS extracts the dormant value for all participants in the energy ecosystem, something traditional point solutions cannot identify and capture. Based in Boulder, CO, Rhythmos is at the forefront of solving a $2.1 trillion problem and facilitating a rapid and cost-efficient transition from fossil fuels to clean, renewable energy and decarbonized transportation.
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Engineering, the Data Engineer is responsible in collaboration with the backend engineering staff for building, collecting, validating and preparing high quality data that comes to us from utilities and other sources. This position will design, develop, and maintain our data warehouse as well as help inform the implementation of operational data stores such that they integrate well with the warehouse.
We integrate data throughout our systems via Kafka streams. A key responsibility of this position is to help foster the integrity and expansion of this system. It is the hub of the wheel of our platform. In conjunction with Backend and DevOps, the Data Engineer ensures that Kafka remains stable and efficient as we continue to evolve.
This role works closely with businesses, developers, architecture and product owners to develop data integration and ingestion solutions which are critical to the analytics/reporting & application environments leveraged across all areas of the business.
In addition, this role will work closely with Data Science to help operationalize their models. This implies the maintenance, upgrade and observation of the productionalized models. Moreover, this role will help evolve, under the direction of Data Science staff, the data science platform such that the outputs are in alignment with production services.
The Rhythmos Data Engineer acts in concert with backend engineering to bolt together the core components of our platform that allow us to interact with utility company and third party data stores. In concert with Backend and Data Science, this role helps progress our system to better catalog and analyze smart grid data and creating features to automate the process of developing, testing and deploying analytical models as new clients come on board.
- Work in conjunction with backend engineering to build, enhance and prioritize data integration and ingestions work efforts partnering with the business to ensure they meet the specified requirements.
- Implement critical and non-critical system data integration and ingestion fixes for the data platform and environment. In conjunction with Backend and Data Science, ensure production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes which depend on it. Implement root cause resolution to identify problems.
- Recommend and code efficient and effective data integration and ingestion solutions for challenging problems for medium to large work efforts of medium to high complexity.
- Translate business requirements, data mappings into data integrations and ingestions code solutions.
- Collaborates with Data Science and business teams to improve data models that feed business intelligence tools, increasing data accessibility and fostering data-driven decision making across the organization.
- Writes unit/integration tests, contributes to engineering wiki, and documents work.
- Manages the data warehouse.
- Performs data analysis required to troubleshoot data related issues and assist in the resolution of data issues.
- Support Release and Change Management processes along with other UPT Compliance initiatives. Work effectively with Technology Operations/Infrastructure teams to ensure continued operations and maintenance of the data integrations and ingestions as well as the data platform and environment.
- Leads solution development efforts that best address end-user needs, while coordinating the involvement of all necessary company and partner personnel.
- Works closely with a team of frontend and backend engineers, product managers, and analysts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Solid programming skills, clear understanding of statistics and analytical skills and an understanding of big data technologies.
- 3+ years of Python or Java development experience
- 3+ year of SQL experience (No-SQL experience is a plus)
- 3+ years of experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling
- 2+ years with Kafka streams. Confluence Kafka platform experience is a plus.
- Proven experience in designing, building and maintaining data processing systems.
- Proven experience in designing, building and maintaining data warehouses.
- Strong project delivery toolset experience in open source data integration tools
- Ability to assess and process large volumes of complex data (volume, structure, relationship etc.), while being able to define and develop data integration patterns and pipelines.
- Experience with Spark, Python, Java. Scala is a plus, particularly pure functional variants.
- Hands on experience working with different persistent stores (RDBMS, NoSQL, Blob storage etc)
- Hands on experience working technologies/platforms e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, and GCP
- Familiarity with data warehouse design principles and experience building data profiling and data cleansing frameworks
Who Everyone Here Is
- Problem solvers - we are a solutions oriented company who are eager to learn and face new challenges.
- Agile - needs change, and we need to change with them. All team members are self-motivated and proactive with a strong work ethic and the ability to operate with minimal supervision.
- Effective communicators - exceptional interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills in-person, on the phone and written.
- Inspired - highly motivated team players who are passionate about creating positive change.
- Collaborative - we work together as a team with a focus on strong planning and organization.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion - demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Continuous learners - eager and willing to learn, improve and ask questions.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States or Canada without company sponsorship.
- Must be able to travel domestically up to 5% of the time
Compensation & Benefits
Rhythmos is committed to salaries which are fair and equitable, which means comparable pay for comparable roles and responsibilities.
The below annual base salary range reflects the expected hiring range (s) for this position. The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the U.S., meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location.
Individual compensation decisions are based on a number of factors, including experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with candidates during the process.
We anticipate the base pay for this position to be between $90,000 to $135,000, which varies based on the ranges as noted below.If your desired salary falls outside of these rates, we hope you’ll still apply as there may be other positions that better align.
- Entry Level: $90,000 - $105,000
- Mid-Range: $105,000 - $120,000
- Senior Level: $120,000 - $135,000
Rhythmos is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Rhythmos believes that our employees are essential to the success of the company. All full time positions include a competitive equity package option.
Here at Rhythmos, we strive to provide everything our teammates need to be happy, healthy and motivated. Our package includes:
- Health, dental and vision - Comprehensive coverage is available for you, your spouse/domestic partner and dependents through multiple medical plan options, including 100% medical coverage for employees and 40% for dependents.
- Basic Life Insurance - $50,000 of Basic Life Insurance at no cost to you.
- 401(k) Savings plan
- Paid time off - Flexible PTO policy, with an additional 17 company holidays.
- Learning and Development - Continuing education and professional development
- Remote workforce - you have the flexibility to work from around the world and the hours that make sense for you, so that you can do your best work. Our core working hours range from 9AM - 3PM Mountain time.
Commitment to Diversity
Rhythmos is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech and leadership roles. Rhythmos believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities and cultures enriches the workplace. Together, our team strives to create and maintain working environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment across the company. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
Rhythmos provides equal opportunity to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, disability, veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other status protected by state or local law.
We are committed to maintaining a diverse workforce. This commitment governs all decisions related to employment, including selection, development and compensation. It also includes an employee’s request for reasonable accommodation. All employees will be treated in a manner free from discrimination or harassment. Rhythmos is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities, including reasonable accommodation when needed. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an application, please contact us by calling 844.297.4743 or by emailing Rhythmos’ Talent Acquisition team at email@example.com. Please be sure to include your full name, best way to reach you and the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process.
- Type of Position: Full Time
- Primary Role Function: Engineering
- Work Experience: 3+ years
- Skills: Python, GCP, SQL, RDBMS
- Location: Remote; but within a reasonable distance (~2 hrs.) of a major airport.
- Operations/ Recruiting Contact: Elaine Wheatley
- Hiring Manager: Kevin Won