Senior UX/UI Designer
Company Overview: Sustainment is a company whose products enable US-based manufacturers to confidently build and manage vetted domestic supplier networks, with modern tools to find, communicate, collaborate with, and manage qualified manufacturing suppliers. Our vision is to reimagine the American manufacturing base as a hyperconnected, secure, and resilient ecosystem of local and regional suppliers who can more easily interact and transact with the government and industry organizations that rely on them. As a public benefit corporation, we are committed to a mission-driven approach that will enable continued success for American industry.
Job Overview: We are looking for a Senior UX/UI Designer to join our Product team and lead the product design practice at Sustainment across our entire product portfolio. Superior design is fundamental to our product approach and success, and our ideal candidate has a track record of success in developing and maintaining successful design systems and taking software product features from research through to release. Other things that are the keys to your success:
- The idea of working to build a product and company from the ground up sounds like hard work, but really exciting.
- Figuring things out in an ambiguous environment sounds more interesting than optimizing things inside of an established structure.
- You are interested in not just solving difficult problems in design, you are interested in owning how you solve those problems.
- You like to use a broad design skillset to realize your vision effectively, vs. focusing on just one aspect of the design process.
- Working independent of heavy direction or oversight is your preferred work style.
- You are a strong teacher and constant learner.
- Writing and communication is a strength.
As Sustainment grows in 2023 and beyond, you’ll be asked to:
- Act as lead and maintain primary accountability for the quality of the design in Sustainment software products
- Lead as the design expert on Sustainment’s product team, maintaining and evolving Sustainment’s product design system
- Run design user research efforts and distill customer, prospect, partner, and internal stakeholder feedback to evolve the user experience with an eye toward continuous improvement
- Partner with product management to keep the imminent backlog well-defined from a design perspective
- Produce wireframes and associated design documents for engineering and work closely with them to ensure accurate implementation of UX/UI
- Define, manage, and improve the UX design process to best meet the needs of the market and to efficiently ship high quality work as part of product releases
- Mentor and manage future junior UX designers to add depth to our UX capabilities and consistency across the product
- Be an advocate for UX/UI design inside of the product team and company, educating and supporting the importance of design with leadership and across teams
- Advise on the broader definition of design, including the usability of website, documentation, and other aspects of the user experience that aren’t necessarily inside of the product’s boundaries.
This role will include some travel to be face-to-face with customers and to visit other folks in Sustainment's offices. There will be ample opportunity to shape your own job to focus on what you enjoy as we grow.
If you see yourself in this description and the work sounds diverse and interesting, we can’t wait to talk to you. We are extremely excited about the opportunity that lies before us at Sustainment and we’re looking for more great people to help us make the most of it.
Your areas of expertise:
- Bachelor’s degree in design, information architecture, or equivalent industry experience
- 5+ years of experience in UX/UI design
- Examples of previous design in the form of a portfolio is required
- Experience with visual design tools, such as Adobe XD and Figma
- Skilled in responsive design and able to deliver a consistent experience across a variety of browsers and devices
- Working in an early startup environment or on SaaS products is a plus
Sustainment offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, company holidays, and 401K matching.
Sustainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
Sustainment participates in E-Verify.